Four more GB finalists at World U23 Championships
Four more GB Rowing Team crews are through to the A finals at the World U23 Championships after another good morning in Plovdiv, Bulgaria.
Both the men’s and women’s fours were impressive winners of their repechage races, while the men’s eight progressed as narrow runners-up to Russia.
James Goble and Tom Marshall were also second in their lightweight men’s pair semi-final, taking the number of British crews in A finals so far up to eight.
Sir David Tanner, GB Rowing Team Performance Director, said: “We have had a good morning. All of our boats have progressed to the next stage, with four of them achieving A final places.
“Those boats in particular have stepped on today to achieve that, which has been impressive.”
The day got off to a positive start for Britain as both the women’s and men’s fours controlled their repechages throughout to reach their respective A finals.
They maintained that advantage during an impressive performance, taking first place in 6:42.34.
Showing a stronger rhythm and pace than they had in the heats, the British crew crossed the line in first place in 6:02.80.
The men’s eight again produced a good performance as they progressed to Sunday’s A final by finishing runners-up to Russia.
Rory Gibbs, Will Hall, Harry Leask, Rufus Scholefield, Henry Millar, Oliver Knight, Henry Swarbrick, Morgan Bolding and cox Harry Brightmore were bow ball to bow ball with the Russians in the first half of a tight race.
Russia eventually took the win but the British crew comfortably secured the second qualifying spot in 5:41.49.
The morning concluded on a good note for Britain as James Goble and Tom Marshall reached the lightweight men’s pair final.
With Greece leading the way, there was a race-long tussle for second place between Britain – who showed a big improvement from their heat – and the Netherlands.
And it went to Goble and Marshall as they rowed through the Dutch in front of the grandstand to finish runners-up in 6:50.43.
While Germany and Romania contested the lead, the British crew sat comfortably in third throughout after a much-improved first quarter and came home well clear of fourth-placed Norway in 5:58.44.
Their semi-final is one of four involving British crews taking place on Saturday morning.
The A finals at the World U23 Championships are split over two days, with six British crews in action on Saturday afternoon.
Steven Parsonage, Joel Cassells, Sam Mottram and Jamie Copus will contest the lightweight men’s quadruple scull final at 3.15pm before the afternoon’s racing concludes with the men’s four final at 3.45pm (all times BST).
(Events featuring GB Rowing Team crews only. For full results – www.worldrowing.com)
Pair – SF2
1. Ioannis Petrou/Stefanos Ntouskos (Greece) 6:49.76
2. James Goble/Tom Marshall (GREAT BRITAIN) 6:50.43
3. Vincent De Vegt/Just Jan van der Endt (Netherlands) 6:51.43
4. John Armitage/Hamish Parry (Australia) 6:54.32
5. Grayson Gray/James Myers (Canada) 6:59.05
6. Yuki Wada/Tomoya Takeuchi (Japan) 7:01.25
Four – R2
1. Emily Ford/Melissa Wilson/Holly Hill/Sam Courty (GREAT BRITAIN) 6:42.34
2. Holly Fletcher/Holly Greenslade/Elizabeth Ross/Jackie Gowler (New Zealand) 6:44.95
3. Isabela-Mihaela Solomon/Iuliana Buhus/Elena-Lavinia Tarlea/Alina-Elena Pop (Romania) 6:55.44
4. Beatrice Arcangiolini/Chiara Ondoli/Sara Barderi/Silvia Terrazzi (Italy) 6:55.98
Four – R2
1. Richard Clarke/Ross Jarvis/James Johnston/Lewis McCue (GREAT BRITAIN) 6:02.80
2. Sergio Garcia Sanjulian/Marco Sardelli Gil/Pau Franquet Monfort/Jaime Lara Pacheco (Spain) 6:05.26
3. Maximilian Kohlmayr/Florian Walk/Gabriel Hohensasser/Joerg Auerbach (Austria) 6:07.67
4. Roman Piven/Valentyn Kovtun/Artem Derkach/Oleh Kravchenko (Ukraine) 6:29.31
5. Tsvetan Bogdanov/Ivan Moternikov/Antoan Tyufekchiev/Kostadin Georgiev (Bulgaria) 6:42.83
Eight – R1
1. Russia 5:39.59
2. Rory Gibbs/William Hall/Harry Leask/Rufus Scholefield/Henry Millar/Oliver Knight/Henry Swarbrick/Morgan Bolding/Harry Brightmore (cox) (GREAT BRITAIN) 5:41.49
3. Poland 5:49.51
4. Ukraine 5:56.58
5. Bulgaria 6:03.76
1. Max Appel/Steven Weidner/Kai Fuhrmann/Hannes Redenius (Germany) 5:52.93
2. Robert-Ovidiu Grosan/Adrian Cionca/Marian-Florian Enache/Constantin Radu (Romania) 5:55.52
3. Tom Barras/Frazier Christie/Andy Brown/Andy Joel (GREAT BRITAIN) 5:58.44
4. Halvor West/Arne Hadler-Olsen/Robin Fjeldstad/Jorgen Nilsson (Norway) 6:06.21
5. Stefan Nikolov/Nikola Popov/Deyvid Yordanov/Atanas Naydenov (Bulgaria) 6:13.22
CREW LISTS (Includes club(s), home town, date of birth)
GB Rowing Team for World U23 Championships
Plovdiv, Bulgaria, July 22-26
Emily Ford (Newcastle Univ BC/Crewe/08.11.94)
Melissa Wilson (Cambridge Univ Women’s BC/Edinburgh/10.06.93)
Holly Hill (Cambridge Univ Women’s BC/Gossington/23.01.94)
Sam Courty (Bath Univ BC/Alnwick/07.01.93)
Coach: Peter Lee
Beth Bryan (Tees RC/Stockton-on-Tees/23.04.93)
Katie Bartlett (Nottingham RC/Loughborough Students RC/Nottingham/02.02.94)
Hattie Taylor (Sport Imperial/Sunningdale/14.02.94)
Holly Nixon (Leander Club/Enniskillen/07.12.93)
Annie Withers (Oxford Brookes Univ BC/Surrey/22.02.93)
Alice White (Imperial College/Bradford/20.01.93)
Gillian Cooper (Nottingham RC/Oakham/14.02.93)
Nicole Lamb (Newcastle Univ BC/Hexham/20.01.93)
Morgan Baynham-Williams (cox) (Leander Club/Ross-On-Wye/28.06.94)
Coach: Lauren Fisher
Richard Clarke (Univ of London BC/Kingston-upon-Thames/06.11.93)
Ross Jarvis (Univ of London BC/Upminster/19.08.94)
James Johnston (Leander Club/Henley/26.08.94)
Lewis McCue (Robert Gordon Univ BC/Aberdeen/26.12.94)
Coach: Brian Young
Rory Gibbs (Oxford Brookes University/Lane End/03.04.94)
Will Hall (Oxford Brookes Univ BC/Winchester/08.05.94)
Harry Leask (Leander Club/Edinburgh/16.10.95)
Rufus Scholefield (Edinburgh Univ BC/Jersey/29.10.93)
Henry Millar (Edinburgh Univ BC/Fivemiletown/25.02.94)
Oli Knight (Newcastle Univ BC/Addlestone/15.09.95)
Henry Swarbrick (Oxford Brookes Univ BC/Richmond/05.04.94)
Morgan Bolding (Oxford Brookes Univ BC/Withiel/13.05.95)
Harry Brightmore (cox) (Oxford Brookes Univ BC/Chester/01.07.94)
Coach: Henry Bailhache-Webb
Tom Barras (Cardiff Univ RC/Staines/07.01.94)
Frazier Christie (Bath Univ BC/Bath/11.01.93)
Andy Brown (Tees RC/Yarm/12.01.93)
Andy Joel (Leander Club/Windsor/08.06.95)
Coach: Dan Harris
Maddie Arlett (Edinburgh Univ BC/Selkirk/07.06.94)
Ellie Lewis (Agecroft RC/Marlow/14.04.94)
Flo Pickles (Gloucester Hartpury/Cheltenham/02.11.96)
Lucy Cruxton (Reading Univ BC/Stoke-on-Trent/22.12.93)
Coach: Tom Pattichis
Emma McDonald (Glasgow Univ BC/Lochwinnoch/11.10.94)
James Goble (Eton Vikings/Winchester/23.11.95)
Tom Marshall (Leander Club/Mold/12.03.94)
Coach: Phil Gray
Ed Fisher (Leander Club/Nottingham/16.04.94)
Ben Reeves (Oxford Brookes Univ BC/Wilmslow/10.05.94)
Jonathan Jackson (Leander Club/Henley-on-Thames/02.06.95)
Alastair Douglass (Molesey BC/Shepperton/22.06.95)
Coach: Franz lmfeld
Steven Parsonage (Leander Club/Norwich/16.01.96)
Joel Cassells (Oxford Brookes Univ BC/Coleraine/15.06.94)
Sam Mottram (Leander Club/Stoke Mandeville/14.11.94)
Jamie Copus (Oxford Brookes Univ/BC/Watlington/30.01.93)
Coach: Ross Hunter
SCROLL DOWN FOR MORE
For background information about the The GB Rowing Team contact the Press office via firstname.lastname@example.org or 07831 755351
For picture requests please contact: GBRTpressoffice@gbrowingteam.org.uk
GB Rowing Team website, including full rower biogs: www.gbrowingteam.org.uk
Follow us on:
THE GB ROWING TEAM is supported by the Lottery through UK Sport.